Click for weather forecast
Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 06:49:12 AM EST
VIDEOHere are a few Virginia (and national) news headlines, political and otherwise, for Monday, February 11.
Pope Benedict XVI reportedly resigning this month ("The 265th Pontiff, Benedict would be the first leader of the Church to step down voluntarily in almost six centuries.")
* Original Sin: Why the GOP is and will continue to be the party of white people ("We are left with the profound historical irony that the party of Lincoln-of the Gettysburg Address, with its reiteration of the Declaration's assertion of equality and its vision of a 'new birth of freedom'-has found sustenance in Lincoln's principal intellectual and moral antagonist. It has become the party of Calhoun.")
* Obama's State of the Union: Aggressive ("Emboldened by electoral victory and convinced the GOP is unwilling to cut deals, Obama plans to use his big prime-time address Tuesday night to issue another broad challenge at a Republican Party he regards as vulnerable and divided, Democrats close to Obama say." I sure hope so!)
* Krugman: The Ignorance Caucus ("...while Democrats, being human, often read evidence selectively and choose to believe things that make them comfortable, there really isn't anything equivalent to Republicans' active hostility to collecting evidence in the first place.)
* Drones as job-killers?
* Bill shields disaster plans from public disclosure
* A bipartisan fight against illegal guns ("Virginia Beach Republican U.S. Rep. Scott Rigell, along with Republican and Democratic colleagues, has crafted a piece of gun-control legislation with bipartisan appeal.")
* Editorial: Too much time for tomfoolery ("State lawmakers should spend less time reading Glenn Beck novels and more time killing dumb bills.")
* Editorial: Safer schools, better mental health ("The governor and lawmakers should pay special attention to mental health when looking to improve the safety of Virginia's schoolchildren.")
* Ken Cuccinelli hits Terry McAuliffe on business move ("Cuccinelli's campaign is charging that McAuliffe has changed his story about what happened.")
* Sen. Warner takes in lion dance for Chinese New Year
* Tim Kaine throws big Bon Jovi fundraiser
* David Alpert: His vision for Greater Greater Washington and the District (Gotta love the focus in this article on rude commenters, as if the Post itself doesn't have some of the nastiest, most vicious, racist, bigoted commenters around - and they let just about everything go in their desperate/frantic quest for eyeballs. #FAIL)
* Habeeb's media week and the lawmaker he exposed (So...the guy's a right-wing extremist AND a nasty SOB whose colleagues don't like or trust. Nice combo.)
* New Beltway Express Lanes losing money
* Terps bottled up by streaking Cavs
* D.C. area forecast: Mild, showery start to week but it trends colder, small snow chances
lowkell :: Virginia News Headlines: Monday Morning
FOLLOW BLUE VIRGINIA on SOCIAL MEDIA
The purpose of Blue Virginia is to cover Virginia politics from a progressive and Democratic perspective. This is a group blog and a community blog. We invite everyone to comment here, but please be aware that profanity, personal attacks, bigotry, insults, rudeness, frequent unsupported or off-point statements, "trolling" (NOTE: that includes outright lies, whether about climate science, or what other people said, or whatever), and "troll ratings abuse" (e.g., "troll" rating someone simply because you disagree with their argument) are not permitted and, if continued, will lead to banning. For more on trolling, see the
Daily Kos FAQs. Also note that diaries may be deleted if they do not contain at least 2 solid paragraphs of original text; if not, please use the comments section of a relevant diary. For more on writing diaries, click here. Thanks, and enjoy!
P.S. You can contact us at email@example.com and you can
. If you'd like to subscribe to Miles Grant's Twitter feed, subscribe to Lowell's Twitter feed here . For Teacherken, click here . For Kindler, click here .
P.P.S. To see the Blue Virginia archive,
please click here. To see the Raising Kaine archive, please click here. To see the Blue Commonwealth archive, please click here.
Subscribe to Blue Virginia - Front Page