Click for weather forecast
Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 07:42:39 AM EST
VIDEOHere are a few Virginia (and national) news headlines, political and otherwise, for Saturday, January 12. Also, check out President Obama's weekly address, this one on ending the war in Afghanistan.
Senate Dems tell Obama to bypass GOP on debt ("President should take 'all legal steps' to avoid default if lawmakers cannot agree to raise the debt ceiling, they say, even 'without Congressional approval.'")
* A likely end to the Rockefeller dynasty
* Gun control proposals hardly draconian (Nope, they're just no-brainer, commonsense things like background checks on anyone buying a gun. Duh.)
* Virginia must take lead in fighting sea level rise, report says (Duh! And no, Virginian Pilot, global warming isn't "politically charged," it's a scientific matter that only a few wackos and fossil fuel industry "deniers" work to turn into a "controversy.")
* The Dumb and Dumber Transportation Funding Policy (Let's face it, Bob McDonnell simply isn't a very bright guy. Nor is he a leader. Other than that, he rawks!!! LOL)
* One Mile Forward, Two Miles Backwards
* Kaine: Common ground can be found as lawmakers consider gun control
* Virginia, still running on fumes (Interesting point, that cutting Virginia's gasoline tax might not result in lower gasoline prices, at least not significantly lower, in Virginia.)
* Gov. Bob McDonnell will not stop Virginia killer's execution
* Many drivers would face higher sales tax - and no break on fuel
* Cuccinelli Won't Have To Submit Petitions, But McAuliffe Will (And So Would Bolling)
* Rights restoration finds new support (What are the chances, though, of this idea making it anywhere in the crazy/nasty Teapublican House of Delegates?)
* Roanoke chamber gets behind McDonnell transportation plan (Dumb and dumber.)
* McDonnell declines to block execution of prisoner who said he wants to die
* McAuliffe hits Cuccinelli on "go to jail" contraception protest remarks
* AG outlines legislative agenda
* Ruff: Hunters should be out of season for drones
* The good ones make it back ("Yes, Robert Griffin III suffered a horrific injury. But his career is hardly in jeopardy - historical evidence says so. ")
lowkell :: Virginia News Headlines: Saturday Morning
FOLLOW BLUE VIRGINIA on SOCIAL MEDIA
The purpose of Blue Virginia is to cover Virginia politics from a progressive and Democratic perspective. This is a group blog and a community blog. We invite everyone to comment here, but please be aware that profanity, personal attacks, bigotry, insults, rudeness, frequent unsupported or off-point statements, "trolling" (NOTE: that includes outright lies, whether about climate science, or what other people said, or whatever), and "troll ratings abuse" (e.g., "troll" rating someone simply because you disagree with their argument) are not permitted and, if continued, will lead to banning. For more on trolling, see the
Daily Kos FAQs. Also note that diaries may be deleted if they do not contain at least 2 solid paragraphs of original text; if not, please use the comments section of a relevant diary. For more on writing diaries, click here. Thanks, and enjoy!
P.S. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and you can
. If you'd like to subscribe to Miles Grant's Twitter feed, subscribe to Lowell's Twitter feed here . For Teacherken, click here . For Kindler, click here .
P.P.S. To see the Blue Virginia archive,
please click here. To see the Raising Kaine archive, please click here. To see the Blue Commonwealth archive, please click here.
Subscribe to Blue Virginia - Front Page