Click for weather forecast
Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 07:05:03 AM EST
Here are a few Virginia (and national) news headlines, political and otherwise, for Wednesday, December 19.
Gun trade faces challenges to financial, political power
* After Newtown, beating the NRA at its own game (How about we all invest our values by putting our money in companies we believe in, not just financially?)
* Biden to oversee White House effort to reduce gun violence
* Boehner veers off bipartisan course with 'Plan B,' shaking up talks
* A rough 24 hours for the White House (What I don't understand is this: the White House had the Republicans in checkmate - game over. So why let them back in the game? The bottom line is that President Obama and the Democrats have all the leverage; no need to offer dumb concessions, especially ones that hurt Social Security recipients or impose austerity. Just really REALLY bad negotiating. Hello? Haven't you guys learned anything from the 1st term?!?)
* Eric Cantor plays loyal lieutenant to Boehner (If Can'tor had done that the last time Boehner was in serious budget/debt negotiations with President Obama, Republicans would have ended up with a better deal - from their bizarre harsh perspective, anyway - than they're about to get now. Brilliant Can'tor!)
* Neocons push against Chuck Hagel (Personally, I think Hagel's a good man, I just think we should have a Democrat as Defense Secretary, as there are many good ones available. Also, Hagel has a right-wing, anti-LGBT, anti-environmental voting record. Why pick him exactly?)
* McDonnell suggests a discussion of arming school officials (Brilliant, huh? Of course, the Newtown shooter's mother was armed to the teeth, and she still got murdered - by her own gun, surprise surprise.)
* McDonnell, O'Malley take opposing sides in response to Newtown shootings
* Survivors of Va. Tech tragedy share pain, send love
* Record day for Va. gun transactions after school shootings
* Editorial: Governor has teachers where he wants them ("After starving Virginia's public schools, Gov. McDonnell tosses them a few crumbs. Next, he'll seek to divert some of their funding to roads.")
* Editorial: Scrooge lives, unrepentant ("An uncharitable remark from Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli gets a response from Catholic bishops.")
* Schapiro: For McDonnell, uranium issue political and personal
* A start toward saving menhaden (Long overdue...)
* Legal battle with Virginia cost airports authority $1.5 million
* Hester sweeps to victory in special Va. House election (Congratulations!)
* Some top MWAA officials got big raises in 2012 (Big raises for running a corrupt cesspool of an agency? Nice.)
* Mike Shanahan can coach football - who knew? (Yep, when the 'Skins were losing, Shanahan was an idiot. Now that they're winning, he's a genius. Gotta love sportswriters.)
lowkell :: Virginia News Headlines: Wednesday Morning
FOLLOW BLUE VIRGINIA on SOCIAL MEDIA
The purpose of Blue Virginia is to cover Virginia politics from a progressive and Democratic perspective. This is a group blog and a community blog. We invite everyone to comment here, but please be aware that profanity, personal attacks, bigotry, insults, rudeness, frequent unsupported or off-point statements, "trolling" (NOTE: that includes outright lies, whether about climate science, or what other people said, or whatever), and "troll ratings abuse" (e.g., "troll" rating someone simply because you disagree with their argument) are not permitted and, if continued, will lead to banning. For more on trolling, see the
Daily Kos FAQs. Also note that diaries may be deleted if they do not contain at least 2 solid paragraphs of original text; if not, please use the comments section of a relevant diary. For more on writing diaries, click here. Thanks, and enjoy!
P.S. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and you can
. If you'd like to subscribe to Miles Grant's Twitter feed, subscribe to Lowell's Twitter feed here . For Teacherken, click here . For Kindler, click here .
P.P.S. To see the Blue Virginia archive,
please click here. To see the Raising Kaine archive, please click here. To see the Blue Commonwealth archive, please click here.
Subscribe to Blue Virginia - Front Page