Click for weather forecast
Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 06:56:41 AM EST
Here are a few Virginia (and national) news headlines, political and otherwise, for Friday, December 7 (a date that shall live in infamy, according to FDR).
Debt Ceiling Bluff Called By Harry Reid, Leaving Mitch McConnell To Filibuster Himself (The absurdity of Republicans' misuse of the filibuster takes on comic dimensions, courtesy of one of the slimiest members of that fine body, Mitch McConnell.)
* Good riddance, Mr. DeMint (One of the only things I can ever recall the egregiously bad Jennifer Rubin writing that actually made a relatively coherent, based-in-truth case for something.)
* Kaine says his campaign showed positive ads work (Perhaps they worked in Tim Kaine's race, hard to know, but most campaign folks believe that NEGATIVE ads are what really work. Hard to say, as the record is mixed.)
* McDonnell still wary on state exchange, Medicaid expansion (You can be wary all you want, Bob, but as governor you still have to put your big-boy pants on and deal with it!)
* McDonnell said U.S. uncertainty requires conservative Va. budget
* Kaine Calls For Higher Taxes For Rich, Spending Cuts
* Virginia's Kaine backs changes to filibustering ("Says he'd favor it regardless of party")
* Sen. Warner: 80% Chance U.S. Will Avoid Fiscal Cliff (The only way we will avoid it is if Republicans start to seriously negotiate, something they've been unwilling to do up until now. The clock's ticking...)
* Terry McAuliffe, Democratic hope ("Love him or hate him, Bill and Hill's buddy is the only thing standing between the state and a Tea Party governor")
* McDonnell expresses support for Cuccinelli's 2013 bid
* Kaine: Porta-Potty dream summed up election
* Va. activists remain wary of Cuccinelli administration (Weird headline: people are a lot more than "wary" of this homophobic wacko)
* McAuliffe explains opening plant in Mississippi not Virginia (Not to Ryan Nobles: "Democrat" and "Democratic" should be capitalized; "its" is the possessive form not "it's")
* McAuliffe's car company never finished Virginia incentive application (Interesting story, although also riddled with typos...)
* Wind offers a cleaner future
* White House crasher to campaign for governor in Hampton Roads
* Capitol Day recap: uranium and health care debates loom
* Editorial: Tighten the texting law
* Conflict of interest charges raised over Arlington transit vote (It's amazing, when I raised this about Barbara Favola's multiple conflicts of interest, the reaction I got from the County Board was hostility. Now, Board member Libby Garvey is raising a conflict of interest with fellow Board member Chris Zimmerman. We'll see what the reaction is this time...)
* Va. Sen.-elect Tim Kaine reaches out, across aisle to fellow freshman Ted Cruz of Texas (Hahahaha, almost 24 hours later, they've STILL got this as "Timothy F. Kaine." The Post sucks.)
lowkell :: Virginia News Headlines: Friday Morning
FOLLOW BLUE VIRGINIA on SOCIAL MEDIA
The purpose of Blue Virginia is to cover Virginia politics from a progressive and Democratic perspective. This is a group blog and a community blog. We invite everyone to comment here, but please be aware that profanity, personal attacks, bigotry, insults, rudeness, frequent unsupported or off-point statements, "trolling" (NOTE: that includes outright lies, whether about climate science, or what other people said, or whatever), and "troll ratings abuse" (e.g., "troll" rating someone simply because you disagree with their argument) are not permitted and, if continued, will lead to banning. For more on trolling, see the
Daily Kos FAQs. Also note that diaries may be deleted if they do not contain at least 2 solid paragraphs of original text; if not, please use the comments section of a relevant diary. For more on writing diaries, click here. Thanks, and enjoy!
P.S. You can contact us at email@example.com and you can
. If you'd like to subscribe to Miles Grant's Twitter feed, subscribe to Lowell's Twitter feed here . For Teacherken, click here . For Kindler, click here .
P.P.S. To see the Blue Virginia archive,
please click here. To see the Raising Kaine archive, please click here. To see the Blue Commonwealth archive, please click here.
Subscribe to Blue Virginia - Front Page