Click for weather forecast
Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 06:44:11 AM EST
Here are a few Virginia (and national) news headlines, political and otherwise, for Friday, January 11.
Hot enough for you? ("All right, now can we talk about climate change? After a year when the lower 48 states suffered the warmest temperatures, and the second-craziest weather, since record-keeping began?")
* Thinking About the Brink (Platinum coin anyone? According to Paul Krugman, "we need a strategy to deal with the crazies if they really do prove irredeemably crazy, which seems all too possible.")
* The Mostly Solved Deficit Problem ("So you heard it here first: while you weren't looking, and the deficit scolds were doing their scolding, the deficit problem (such as it was) was being mostly solved. Can we now start talking about unemployment?")
* Anti-Gay Pastor Withdraws From Inaugural Program (Bottom line: there should be no room for bigots in our national life.)
* Poll: Warner holds early re-election lead
* Poll: Clinton tops 2016 Democrat field ("U.S. Sen. Mark Virginia of Virginia is not among the top Democratic contenders to be the next president, according to a poll released today.")
* Virginia Makes Its Case To House New FBI Headquarters
* Governor's bills on roads, voting rights face obstacles ("...it was apparent within hours of McDonnell's speech that both face widespread skepticism from lawmakers - including many in the Republican chief executive's own party.")
* Virginia Democrats push to loosen voting rules ("Filler-Corn proposed keeping polling places open longer -- until 8 p.m. instead of 7 p.m. -- matching the closing times in D.C. and Maryland. Another Democratic bill would allow Virginians to cast their ballots before Election Day.")
* Sen. Tim Kaine state on gun control reform (I have no idea what that headline means, but Kaine says, "As a gun owner who worked with others to constitutionally guarantee Virginians the right to hunt, I know that you can be a strong supporter of the Second Amendment without tolerating the gun tragedies that are too often a part of our daily lives.")
* Gas-tax plan draws reaction from transportation world ("Critics ranging from conservatives to smart-growth advocates to environmentalists said eliminating the gas tax would do the opposite...")
* Poll: Virginians favor stricter gun control
* Va. senator wants voter bill named for late Norfolk lawmaker ("A ranking African American state legislator Thursday said proposals to automatically restore civil rights to non-violent offenders should carry the name of deceased Sen. Yvonne Miller, a Norfolk Democrat who long championed that issue.")
* Bolling and McAuliffe meet in Richmond (Intriguing...)
* Proposed Transportation Fee Targets Eco-Friendly Drivers
* McDonnell 'Excited' About 12 Oscar Nominations for 'Lincoln' (Ahhhh...corporate welfare Republicans, aren't they grand?)
* Editorial: Upon paying one's debt ("Are we, as the governor says, a people who believe in second chances? Here's lawmakers' chance at redemption.")
* Mr. McDonnell moves to restore voting rights (I still can't understand why this wasn't done under the previous two administrations, but better late than never I guess...)
* Fairfax schools announces $2.5 billion spending plan that includes teacher raises
lowkell :: Virginia News Headlines: Friday Morning
FOLLOW BLUE VIRGINIA on SOCIAL MEDIA
The purpose of Blue Virginia is to cover Virginia politics from a progressive and Democratic perspective. This is a group blog and a community blog. We invite everyone to comment here, but please be aware that profanity, personal attacks, bigotry, insults, rudeness, frequent unsupported or off-point statements, "trolling" (NOTE: that includes outright lies, whether about climate science, or what other people said, or whatever), and "troll ratings abuse" (e.g., "troll" rating someone simply because you disagree with their argument) are not permitted and, if continued, will lead to banning. For more on trolling, see the
Daily Kos FAQs. Also note that diaries may be deleted if they do not contain at least 2 solid paragraphs of original text; if not, please use the comments section of a relevant diary. For more on writing diaries, click here. Thanks, and enjoy!
P.S. You can contact us at email@example.com and you can
. If you'd like to subscribe to Miles Grant's Twitter feed, subscribe to Lowell's Twitter feed here . For Teacherken, click here . For Kindler, click here .
P.P.S. To see the Blue Virginia archive,
please click here. To see the Raising Kaine archive, please click here. To see the Blue Commonwealth archive, please click here.
Subscribe to Blue Virginia - Front Page