Click for weather forecast
Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 06:51:00 AM EST
Here are a few Virginia (and national) news headlines, political and otherwise, for Monday, January 7.
President Obama Picks Chuck Hagel, Fight Over Defense Secretary (On the one hand, I wish that President Obama had picked a Democrat for Sec. Def. On the other hand, it's great to see the right wingnuts, in the U.S. and Israel, throw hissy fits.)
* Why Barack Obama picked Chuck Hagel
* Crowded field vying for Virginia lt. gov. post
* Virginia Governor's Race Highlights a Republican Rift ("Contest for Governor Pits Tea-Party Hero, Clinton Friend and Possible Third Player")
* Va. Attorney General Cuccinelli had Democratic allies in a win against EPA (Democrats should never, ever, ever, ever - did I mention ever? - work with nutjobs like Ken Kookinelli on anything. End of story.)
* Hampton Roads lawmakers mine through uranium debate
* Business groups prepare for General Assembly session
* Uranium mining ban, money for roads on General Assembly's front burner ("A big political year in Virginia begins in earnest Wednesday, when the General Assembly opens its 2013 session and confronts a host of contentious and controversial issues.")
* Va. Gov. McDonnell: Consider letters to grade schools ("Says A's or F's easier to understand")
* Fairfax County fights to house the FBI
* Editorial: No need to lock an empty box ("Would that Virginia had the excess transportation dollars to tempt scurrilous lawmakers to stage a raid.")
* Seahawks end Redskins' season with 24-14 playoff win; Griffin injured
* RGIII's season ends in an ugly fashion (Mike Shanahan displayed gross negligence, incompetence, recklessness, almost criminal-level malpractice, in letting his franchise QB keep playing while obviously, and seriously, injured. He should be fired immediately.)
* Griffin's knee injury is on Shanahan ("The extent of Griffin's injury won't be known until later this week, but given the way the knee appeared to shred, and given Griffin's history with his right ACL, which he tore in 2009 while still at Baylor, it's hard not to fear the worst. And, unfortunately, it was something seemingly everyone but Shanahan and Griffin saw coming.")
UPDATE: Also see the new website, VARepublican Overreach.
lowkell :: Virginia News Headlines: Monday Morning
FOLLOW BLUE VIRGINIA on SOCIAL MEDIA
The purpose of Blue Virginia is to cover Virginia politics from a progressive and Democratic perspective. This is a group blog and a community blog. We invite everyone to comment here, but please be aware that profanity, personal attacks, bigotry, insults, rudeness, frequent unsupported or off-point statements, "trolling" (NOTE: that includes outright lies, whether about climate science, or what other people said, or whatever), and "troll ratings abuse" (e.g., "troll" rating someone simply because you disagree with their argument) are not permitted and, if continued, will lead to banning. For more on trolling, see the
Daily Kos FAQs. Also note that diaries may be deleted if they do not contain at least 2 solid paragraphs of original text; if not, please use the comments section of a relevant diary. For more on writing diaries, click here. Thanks, and enjoy!
P.S. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and you can
. If you'd like to subscribe to Miles Grant's Twitter feed, subscribe to Lowell's Twitter feed here . For Teacherken, click here . For Kindler, click here .
P.P.S. To see the Blue Virginia archive,
please click here. To see the Raising Kaine archive, please click here. To see the Blue Commonwealth archive, please click here.
Subscribe to Blue Virginia - Front Page