Click for weather forecast
Progressive Area Lawyers
Karin Riley Porter
Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 06:45:43 AM EST
Here are a few Virginia (and national) news headlines, political and otherwise, for Friday, December 14.
Rice bows out, short-circuits nomination fight (I've stated my strong preference for John Kerry for this position, and Susan Rice made the right call here politically speaking, but still...FU John McCain, Lindsey Graham and Kelly Ayotte.)
* Obama, Boehner have frank talk but no breakthrough (Looks like we're going over the non-"cliff". At that point, Republicans can vote to LOWER taxes, thus not offending Holy Grover. Works for me.)
* Virginia 2nd-best state for business; Maryland 16th
* Susan Rice: Why I made the right call
* The case for John Kerry as secretary of state
* AP: Va. student expelled for election racial uproar
* Va. parties lob union, abortion challenges
* Rigell calls increased revenue fiscally conservative (From everything I've heard, Rigell's very conservative, yet he's sounding more and more like a Democrat with this kind of talk. Of course, Barack Obama won the 2nd CD, so...hmmmm.)
* Virginia lawmakers split on election reform plans
* Appeals court upholds ex-lawmaker's convictions
* Powell receives reprimand from Virginia State Bar ("Former Democratic congressional candidate Wayne Powell has received a public reprimand from the Virginia State Bar for his handling of a lawsuit he filed against contractors who did roof repairs to the Christian Broadcasting Network Building in Virginia Beach in 2008.")
* Cuccinelli critical of Catholic approach to poor (What a horrible human being who totally doesn't understand the teachings of Jesus. Also, Cuccinelli is the polar opposite of the great, progressive Bishop Walter Sullivan, who passed away earlier this week. Also see the ThinkProgress story on this lunatic.)
* Webb: 'I Was Raised by My Mother's Milk to Be a Skeptic About the Ornaments of Power'
* McDonnell proposes 2 percent pay raise for teachers
* Bolling to announce opposition to uranium mining (Good for Bolling, now let's hope he switches positions on a bunch of other issues as well.)
* Editorial: It's past time for road fix ("Transportation has been a pressing need for all of Bill Howell's tenure as speaker. Why would he write off 2013?")
* Absent diligence in Chesapeake
* Editorial: Someday, the train will come ("As Amtrak arrives in Norfolk, we remain wistful for passenger rail.")
* MLB seeks creative solution to MASN rights fees dispute between Nationals, Orioles
lowkell :: Virginia News Headlines: Friday Morning
Blue Virginia Promote Your Page Too
The purpose of Blue Virginia is to cover Virginia politics from a progressive and Democratic perspective. This is a group blog and a community blog. We invite everyone to comment here, but please be aware that profanity, personal attacks, bigotry, insults, rudeness, frequent unsupported or off-point statements, and "trolling" (NOTE: that includes outright lies, whether about climate science, or what other people said, or whatever) are not permitted and, if continued, will lead to banning. For more on trolling, see the
Daily Kos FAQs. Also note that diaries may be deleted if they do not contain at least 2 solid paragraphs of original text; if not, please use the comments section of a relevant diary. For more on writing diaries, click here. Thanks, and enjoy!
P.S. You can contact us at email@example.com and you can
. If you'd like to subscribe to Miles Grant's Twitter feed, subscribe to Lowell's Twitter feed here . For Teacherken, click here . For Kindler, click here .
P.P.S. To see the Blue Virginia archive,
please click here. To see the Raising Kaine archive, please click here. To see the Blue Commonwealth archive, please click here.
Subscribe to Blue Virginia - Front Page