Click for weather forecast
Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 07:02:46 AM EST
Here are a few Virginia (and national) news headlines, political and otherwise, for Thursday, December 6.
WH 'Absolutely' Willing To Go Off 'Cliff' (Fine, do it if Republicans won't start to seriously compromise!)
* Wolf Blitzer Stumps Top House Republican By Asking For Spending Cut Specifics (Here's the fundamental problem: all those teahadists screaming to "stop the spending" don't actually want to cut, ya know, SPENDING, on things like Medicare, Social Security, Defense, roads, schools, and a million other things they don't want to lose. The fact is, we have a revenue problem - now at 60 year low point as a share of economic output - much more than we have a spending problem in this country. Yep, the Tea Party has it completely backwards; go figure! LOL)
* Obama coming to Va. today to speak about fiscal cliff plan
* Some in GOP seek broader deal on 'fiscal cliff'
* A top priority, Kaine says, is to balance budget
* Perriello declines bid for governor, endorses McAuliffe (Note that Julian Walker of the Virginian Pilot, as well as just about every other reporter, linked to and/or credited Blue Virginia for its scoop on Tom Perriello yesterday. The only one that didn't? One guess. Yes, the Washington/Kaplan Post, which almost NEVER links to or credits blogs for their stories. It's unethical, of course, but the Post apparently is so desperate for "eyeballs" at this point, they don't care. #FAIL)
* Cantor: Dems must reveal spending cuts to move 'fiscal cliff' deal forward (Gotta love this guy's chutzpah, anyway...)
* Christmas in D.C.? Cantor says no cliff deal, no break
* Crackdown on texting while driving gets bipartisan support in Virginia (I believe this is what's known as a "no brainer")
* McDonnell to seek $500M annually in new transportation money
* Cuccinelli throws brushback at Cantor
* McDonnell addresses statewide transportation conference
* Northam gears up for lieutenant governor run
* State unveils new water quality initiative
* Arlington streetcar options mulled
* Chesapeake animal shelter project blows deadline, busts budget
* Moran Proposes Bill to Reduce Voting Wait Times
P.S. Also see
Since big media suck, you might not know there is a climate change conference in Qatar now.
lowkell :: Virginia News Headlines: Thursday Morning
FOLLOW BLUE VIRGINIA on SOCIAL MEDIA
The purpose of Blue Virginia is to cover Virginia politics from a progressive and Democratic perspective. This is a group blog and a community blog. We invite everyone to comment here, but please be aware that profanity, personal attacks, bigotry, insults, rudeness, frequent unsupported or off-point statements, "trolling" (NOTE: that includes outright lies, whether about climate science, or what other people said, or whatever), and "troll ratings abuse" (e.g., "troll" rating someone simply because you disagree with their argument) are not permitted and, if continued, will lead to banning. For more on trolling, see the
Daily Kos FAQs. Also note that diaries may be deleted if they do not contain at least 2 solid paragraphs of original text; if not, please use the comments section of a relevant diary. For more on writing diaries, click here. Thanks, and enjoy!
P.S. You can contact us at email@example.com and you can
. If you'd like to subscribe to Miles Grant's Twitter feed, subscribe to Lowell's Twitter feed here . For Teacherken, click here . For Kindler, click here .
P.P.S. To see the Blue Virginia archive,
please click here. To see the Raising Kaine archive, please click here. To see the Blue Commonwealth archive, please click here.
Subscribe to Blue Virginia - Front Page