Click for weather forecast
Sun Dec 02, 2012 at 07:16:41 AM EST
Here are a few Virginia (and national) news headlines, political and otherwise, for Sunday, December 2.
The GOP and its urge to purge ("It seems the Republicans have run out of squishy moderates to purge. Now they're starting to run conservatives out of town for being insufficiently doctrinaire.")
* Cuccinelli: 2013 a chance to show "conservatism isn't dead" (Also see Cuccinelli's stump speech, in which he mostly uses buzzwords like "liberty" and "freedom" - which every American cherishes - but avoids specifics, like taking away women's right to choose what they do with their own bodies, away from them. Clever, huh?)
* Cuccinelli dismisses 'rebranding' of GOP, makes appeal to Bolling supporters (Cooch demonstrates yet again he's an unabashed right wingnut, no backing down or moderation from this guy at all.)
* Virginia GOP candidates hold annual Advance gathering (The fact that Iran/Contra felon Oliver North was "the talk of the annual gathering" says a great deal, none of it good, about the radical, extremist Republican Party of Virginia. Also, note from these photos the almost complete lack of diversity - this party does NOT look like America - and the heavy emphasis on polluting, extractive industries. Basically, this party's an Orwellian nightmare come to life.)
* Once-marginalized firebrands taking aim at governor's race (More superficiality, style over substance, and false equivalency from the corporate media.)
* Cuccinelli, McAuliffe face challenge in middle (Yet MORE false equivalency from the media; the reality is that Terry McAuliffe is about as centrist a Democrat as you can get, while Cuccinelli is about as far right wing - think Todd Akin, Richard Mourdoch, Christine O'Donnell, Rand Paul, etc. - as you can find in this country.)
* Schapiro: Cuccinelli crashes McDonnell-Bolling party - again ("Bolling made three mistakes: He believed in waiting his turn. He thought he'd actually get it. And he trusted the other fella.")
* Jackson formally opens campaign for lieutenant governor (This lunatic almost makes Kookinelli look sane. Wow.)
* Federal budget cuts would force Va. to slash spending
* Transportation funding on legislators' agenda
* Editorial: Liberty University v. Obamacare ("The courts can bring clarity to controversial mandates about insurance and birth control.")
* Learning to love (maybe) the new express lanes on the Beltway in Va.
* Some in Loudoun County not thrilled with new proposed stadium location
* Metro riders tired of dark stations ("Commuters and advocates call for better lighting in stations to be part of ongoing WMATA improvements.")
* Why name an airport 'Dulles'?
* Absent argument for Virginia Beach's arena
lowkell :: Virginia News Headlines: Sunday Morning
FOLLOW BLUE VIRGINIA on SOCIAL MEDIA
The purpose of Blue Virginia is to cover Virginia politics from a progressive and Democratic perspective. This is a group blog and a community blog. We invite everyone to comment here, but please be aware that profanity, personal attacks, bigotry, insults, rudeness, frequent unsupported or off-point statements, "trolling" (NOTE: that includes outright lies, whether about climate science, or what other people said, or whatever), and "troll ratings abuse" (e.g., "troll" rating someone simply because you disagree with their argument) are not permitted and, if continued, will lead to banning. For more on trolling, see the
Daily Kos FAQs. Also note that diaries may be deleted if they do not contain at least 2 solid paragraphs of original text; if not, please use the comments section of a relevant diary. For more on writing diaries, click here. Thanks, and enjoy!
P.S. You can contact us at email@example.com and you can
. If you'd like to subscribe to Miles Grant's Twitter feed, subscribe to Lowell's Twitter feed here . For Teacherken, click here . For Kindler, click here .
P.P.S. To see the Blue Virginia archive,
please click here. To see the Raising Kaine archive, please click here. To see the Blue Commonwealth archive, please click here.
Subscribe to Blue Virginia - Front Page