Click for weather forecast
Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 07:16:29 AM EST
Here are a few Virginia (and national) news headlines, political and otherwise, for Monday, November 12.
Petraeus probe draws scrutiny from lawmakers
* With 'fiscal cliff,' some see 'magic moment' for deal (Agreed, this is an opportunity, time to deal with U.S. budget issues for the long haul, while also reforming our tax code so that it taxes "bads" like carbon more than "goods" like investment in growing U.S. jobs, is progressive and fair, brings in more revenue, etc.)
* For Red America, what happens now? (What SHOULD happen is a serious rethink of why their party's gone off the right-wing cliff into John Bircher cuckoo territory, and how to bring the GOP back to the great party it used to be - which is why I became a Teenage Republican years ago, in a galaxy far, far away...)
* Milloy: Why is the GOP so white?
* Fix immigration now (This should have been done years ago, but better late than never I suppose.)
* NoVa delivered Virginia to Obama despite 75,000 fewer voters in Fairfax
* Ceremony honors America's veterans
* Chastened Va. Republicans promise major changes (Don't hold your breath waiting for any significant changes in these guys' harsh anti-women, anti-GLBT, anti-government, anti-environment, etc. attitudes. At most, they'll change the "tone" of how they articulate their godawful views...)
* McAuliffe makes the GOP's job in Virginia easier (This is actually a GREAT sign for T-Mac, as Jennifer Rubin is a total Republican wing hack who was wrong about EVERYTHING in the past election cycle and almost certainly will continue to be wrong about everything in the future. So, let Republicans be overconfident/complacent about the governor's race next year, that's fine with me.)
* Winners and losers in Virginia
* Reston balks at Metro station development
* Editorial: To fix Washington, fix the filibuster ("Tim Kaine and other senators supported filibuster reform on the campaign trail. They have little time to do it.")
* Editorial: Back up election mandate with money ("Legislators want to phase out electronic voting machines, but they haven't paid for replacements")
* Norfolk elections belong in November
* Grand plans for Virginia Beach sports complex sidelined by sour economy
lowkell :: Virginia News Headlines: Monday Morning
FOLLOW BLUE VIRGINIA on SOCIAL MEDIA
The purpose of Blue Virginia is to cover Virginia politics from a progressive and Democratic perspective. This is a group blog and a community blog. We invite everyone to comment here, but please be aware that profanity, personal attacks, bigotry, insults, rudeness, frequent unsupported or off-point statements, "trolling" (NOTE: that includes outright lies, whether about climate science, or what other people said, or whatever), and "troll ratings abuse" (e.g., "troll" rating someone simply because you disagree with their argument) are not permitted and, if continued, will lead to banning. For more on trolling, see the
Daily Kos FAQs. Also note that diaries may be deleted if they do not contain at least 2 solid paragraphs of original text; if not, please use the comments section of a relevant diary. For more on writing diaries, click here. Thanks, and enjoy!
P.S. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and you can
. If you'd like to subscribe to Miles Grant's Twitter feed, subscribe to Lowell's Twitter feed here . For Teacherken, click here . For Kindler, click here .
P.P.S. To see the Blue Virginia archive,
please click here. To see the Raising Kaine archive, please click here. To see the Blue Commonwealth archive, please click here.
Subscribe to Blue Virginia - Front Page