Click for weather forecast
Fri Nov 09, 2012 at 06:03:56 AM EST
Here are a few Virginia (and national) news headlines, political and otherwise, for Friday, November 9.
Warmer still: Extreme climate predictions appear most accurate, report says (Uh, guys? We need to do something about this NOW! "Skeptics" and "deniers?" Go f*** yourselves.)
* Let's Not Make a Deal (To say the obvious: Democrats won an amazing victory," except for the House. On that front, "President Obama has to make a decision, almost immediately, about how to deal with continuing Republican obstruction. How far should he go in accommodating the G.O.P.'s demands? My answer is, not far at all. ")
* Republicans start review to find out what went wrong (Uhhh...your party's seen by many Americans as extremist, intolerant, misogynistic and nuts?)
* GOP's rejection of higher tax rates an obstacle to debt deal (Speaking of extremist and nuts...)
* Republicans To Obama On Taxes: Let's Compromise By Not Raising Taxes (Ditto.)
* State of denial ("The real blow to Republicans may be not that they failed to take the White House, but that they did not lose more heavily." So true. The question is, are they like Germany after World War I?)
* A new America speaks
* The emerging America ("While Wattenberg's party, the GOP, has taken to looking at this new America with anxiety and fear, he was right. What the world saw this week was a picture of America at its best: edgy, experimental, open-minded - and brilliantly diverse.")
* McAuliffe confirms he's in the 2013 race for governor (Get ready for lots and lots of Bill Clinton next year - and Hillary Clinton, Chelsea Clinton, George Clinton...well, maybe not the last two, but you get the idea.)
* Warner likely to stay in Senate with McAuliffe making second Virginia governor run
* Warner: There are 70 votes in U.S. Senate for debt deal (We'll see. Meanwhile, what about the Teapublican House?)
* Bolling on '13: 'Firebrand' can't win Virginia (Bolling's argument against Cuccinelli clearly has to be electability, plus experience and the backing of key Republicans like Bob McDonnell. I still don't think he can beat Kookinelli, but what other choice does Bolling have other than run again for LG or quit?)
* McDonnell wants agencies to find potential budget cuts
* Seventh time's the charm? Virginia senator tries again for early voting (Nope, the Republican House won't pass this, but thank you for trying Senator Howell!)
* McDonnell holds off on state health care exchange ("Says information lacking; D.C., Maryland push to meet target" #FAIL)
* Will Rick Boucher be the last Democratic congressman from Southwest Virginia? (Sadly, it's possible...ugh.)
* Editorial: Victories for marriage equality ("Voters went 4 for 4 Tuesday on same-sex couples. Sadly, Virginia will not soon follow.")
* Editorial: Don't leave your vote in limbo ("Voters who cast provisional ballots should visit their registrar before noon.")
* Richmond officials grilled on Redskins deal
* Opponents of $80m Arlington pool cry foul
* Police Prevent UVA Students from Attending Public Board Meeting
lowkell :: Virginia News Headlines: Friday Morning
FOLLOW BLUE VIRGINIA on SOCIAL MEDIA
The purpose of Blue Virginia is to cover Virginia politics from a progressive and Democratic perspective. This is a group blog and a community blog. We invite everyone to comment here, but please be aware that profanity, personal attacks, bigotry, insults, rudeness, frequent unsupported or off-point statements, "trolling" (NOTE: that includes outright lies, whether about climate science, or what other people said, or whatever), and "troll ratings abuse" (e.g., "troll" rating someone simply because you disagree with their argument) are not permitted and, if continued, will lead to banning. For more on trolling, see the
Daily Kos FAQs. Also note that diaries may be deleted if they do not contain at least 2 solid paragraphs of original text; if not, please use the comments section of a relevant diary. For more on writing diaries, click here. Thanks, and enjoy!
P.S. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and you can
. If you'd like to subscribe to Miles Grant's Twitter feed, subscribe to Lowell's Twitter feed here . For Teacherken, click here . For Kindler, click here .
P.P.S. To see the Blue Virginia archive,
please click here. To see the Raising Kaine archive, please click here. To see the Blue Commonwealth archive, please click here.
Subscribe to Blue Virginia - Front Page