Click for weather forecast
Wed Sep 19, 2012 at 06:35:41 AM EDT
Here are a few Virginia - and presidential - news headlines, political and otherwise, for Wednesday, September 19.
WATCH: Full Secret Video of Private Romney Fundraiser (Apparently, the media can only focus on one thing at a time, but there are a LOT more bizarre statements in these videos, on Israel-Palestine, Chinese slave labor, how the campaign's using Ann Romney, you name it. Each one of these deserves to be a story in its own right!)
* Romney's '47 percent' fantasy ("Leaked video shows his cluelessness on the middle class.")
* Romney hits a new low ("His '47 percent' remarks were self-destructive, hypocritical and dead wrong.")
* Obama holds clear lead
over Romney in Virginia * A Mood of Gloom Afflicts the Romney Campaign
* NBC/WSJ poll: Obama leads Romney nationally by 5 points
* In video, Romney strays from standard GOP points about 'makers' and 'takers' ("For one thing, he picked on the wrong people: the 47 percent of Americans who pay no federal income tax. That group includes key GOP constituencies, such as seniors and blue-collar families.")
* Media should go easy on Romney - for their own sake ("Romney's hit parade - insulting the British, inviting Clint Eastwood to the Republican convention, flubbing Libya and now dismissing half the nation as parasites - may make good copy for the next seven weeks. But if we go easy on the man, we could have four years of gaffes instead of just seven more weeks.")
* Cyborg Mitt speaks out ("Romney's comments sounded callous and merciless, and will haunt him through the election. They also revealed something we hadn't previously seen. Unguarded, Romney is no compassionate conservative. At his core, he is . . . a cyborg.")
* McDonnell on Romney fundraiser: 'He would say it probably differently today' (Hahahaha, Bob McDonnell is laughably bad at spin. Come to think of it, what IS Bob McDonnell's skill set exactly?!?)
* Poll: Approval ratings in Va. drop across party lines
* Chris Graham: 47-Percent-Gate
* Abortion foes win clinic fight ("... the timidity of board members to stand for their convictions, and the circumstances leading to their failure, underscored the level of political meddling and outright doublespeak that overtakes any discussion of abortion, let alone regulation of it.")
* Virginia provision upheld in rule seen as restrictive by doctors ("Virginia Attorney General Kenneth T. Cuccinelli's office has successfully defended a provision in the state's health care law that doctors claim is unconstitutional, stifles business and drives up health care costs.")
* Drenching storms topple trees, cut power around D.C.
* Airports board faces tangle of legal fees
* Paul Ryan rallies the party faithful in Newport News campaign stop ("Faithful?" To what, Ayn Rand? Objectivism? Lying?)
* Deficiencies found with Hampton VA's procedures
* Sen. Warner joins Kaine on the trail in Loudoun
* 9th Candidate Flaccavento comments on coal layoffs
* Slavery museum remains stalled
* Don't average voters deserve a little representation? ("[Robert] Hurt has distinguished himself among this trio by doing absolutely nothing to distinguish himself.")
P.S. Also see
Time for an Intervention, in which former Ronald Reagan speechwriter Peggy Noonan epic and, at times, even poetic dismantling of Mitt Romney and his campaign. Amazing.
lowkell :: Virginia News Headlines: Wednesday Morning
FOLLOW BLUE VIRGINIA on SOCIAL MEDIA
The purpose of Blue Virginia is to cover Virginia politics from a progressive and Democratic perspective. This is a group blog and a community blog. We invite everyone to comment here, but please be aware that profanity, personal attacks, bigotry, insults, rudeness, frequent unsupported or off-point statements, "trolling" (NOTE: that includes outright lies, whether about climate science, or what other people said, or whatever), and "troll ratings abuse" (e.g., "troll" rating someone simply because you disagree with their argument) are not permitted and, if continued, will lead to banning. For more on trolling, see the
Daily Kos FAQs. Also note that diaries may be deleted if they do not contain at least 2 solid paragraphs of original text; if not, please use the comments section of a relevant diary. For more on writing diaries, click here. Thanks, and enjoy!
P.S. You can contact us at email@example.com and you can
. If you'd like to subscribe to Miles Grant's Twitter feed, subscribe to Lowell's Twitter feed here . For Teacherken, click here . For Kindler, click here .
P.P.S. To see the Blue Virginia archive,
please click here. To see the Raising Kaine archive, please click here. To see the Blue Commonwealth archive, please click here.
Subscribe to Blue Virginia - Front Page