Click for weather forecast
Sun Sep 16, 2012 at 07:10:20 AM EDT
Here are a few Virginia news headlines, political and otherwise, for Sunday, September 16.
Neocons Slither Back ("A moral, muscular foreign policy; a disdain for weakness and diplomacy; a duty to invade and bomb Israel's neighbors; a divine right to pre-emption - it's all ominously familiar.")
* The Foreign Relations Fumbler ("According to clarifications from Romney's campaign, he apparently would order a military strike before Iran even acquired a bomb, simply when it was getting close. For anyone who has actually seen a battlefield, that's a blithe, too-light embrace of a path to yet another war. It's emblematic of a candidate who, on foreign policy, appears an empty shell.")
* Rick Santorum: Conservatives Will Never Have "Smart People On Our Side (They'll also never have people who understand irony on their side...)
* Kaine takes to helicopter in ad; Allen says foe's policies won't fly
* Editorial: Congress: Why bother? ("Republican brinksmanship will result in real harm for real people.")
* Health-care divide doesn't simplify Senate race for all Va. voters
* Schapiro: Cuccinelli was just doing his job (Very interesting analysis: "Cuccinelli, in this case, was doing his job - not just as a partisan Republican who wants to make abortion illegal again, but as one of the nation's 43 elective attorneys general who found that, this time, the law actually aligned with his ambitions.")
* Religious exemption needs tightening (" Virginia is the only state in the nation that offers an exemption from mandatory school attendance - and doesn't require alternate schooling - when a parent and child say attendance violates their religious beliefs.")
* Obama makes push on economy in Va., key states
* Two Virginia mosques vandalized
* Cantor, Powell to talk business issues at Oct. 1 debate
* Radford Votes to Ban Concealed Guns in Buildings
* Editorial: The arts enhance the economy ("Roanoke's cultural scene enriches its economy, so it's in the public's interest to support it. The challenge is to come up with a sustainable funding stream.")
* Paul Ryan to campaign Tuesday in Newport News (Of course, Ryan won't mention that his economic philosophy, and specifically his proposed budget, would decimate Newport News.)
* Bad call, bad pitch lead to bad outcome for Nats (That was a truly atrocious call by the first-base umpire, but it all would have been forgotten if the next batter had grounded into a double play. Instead, he homered...sigh.)
lowkell :: Virginia News Headlines: Sunday Morning
FOLLOW BLUE VIRGINIA on SOCIAL MEDIA
The purpose of Blue Virginia is to cover Virginia politics from a progressive and Democratic perspective. This is a group blog and a community blog. We invite everyone to comment here, but please be aware that profanity, personal attacks, bigotry, insults, rudeness, frequent unsupported or off-point statements, "trolling" (NOTE: that includes outright lies, whether about climate science, or what other people said, or whatever), and "troll ratings abuse" (e.g., "troll" rating someone simply because you disagree with their argument) are not permitted and, if continued, will lead to banning. For more on trolling, see the
Daily Kos FAQs. Also note that diaries may be deleted if they do not contain at least 2 solid paragraphs of original text; if not, please use the comments section of a relevant diary. For more on writing diaries, click here. Thanks, and enjoy!
P.S. You can contact us at email@example.com and you can
. If you'd like to subscribe to Miles Grant's Twitter feed, subscribe to Lowell's Twitter feed here . For Teacherken, click here . For Kindler, click here .
P.P.S. To see the Blue Virginia archive,
please click here. To see the Raising Kaine archive, please click here. To see the Blue Commonwealth archive, please click here.
Subscribe to Blue Virginia - Front Page