Click for weather forecast
Progressive Area Lawyers
Karin Riley Porter
Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 06:40:07 AM EDT
Here are a few Virginia news headlines, political and otherwise, for Friday, August 17.
NBC12 talks one on one with Romney (We'll have more on this later, but for now let me just say that this was one of the most pathetic, craven, godawfully egregious excuses for an "interview" I've ever seen. So, the purpose of a political "interview" is to just let the subject lie and lie and lie - all lies that have been debunked multiple times by PolitiFact and others, by the way - and never challenge him on anything?!? I mean, sure, standards for the Idiot Box are low, and for local "news" - if it bleeds it leads, etc. - even more so, but my god, this is appallingly bad...)
* Romney: I paid at least 13% tax rate for past decade (Two comments: 1) Prove it by releasing your tax returns going back 10 years, whatever; 2) 13%?!? In other words, far less than most of us pay, even though he made hundreds or thousands of times the income? Wonderful.)
* Republican VP Ryan stumps, raises cash in Virginia (I urge everyone to read up on this guy, his love for sociopath Ayn Rand, and his infamous "Plan" for Medicare. None of it is pretty.)
* Shooting at Family Research Council sets off high-caliber war of words (The shooting was despicable and absolutely unacceptable. Having said that, it doesn't change the fact that the FRC has been properly labeled a "hate group" by the Southern Poverty Law Center - see their statement here - for its vicious anti-LGBT rhetoric, actions, etc. And NO, there's nothing wrong with calling a hate group like FRC a "hate group.")
* Paul Ryan to campaign in Virginia Friday (I hear he'll be at the Westin hotel, at 801 N. Glebe Road in Arlington, at around 5:30 pm, and that there will be protests. Something to do if you're in the Ballston neighborhood...)
* Editorial: A second helping of yuck ("Interest groups are piling on attack ads against Senate candidate Tim Kaine that have already been debunked.")
* Group with military ties campaigns against President Barack Obama (Wow, and you thought the "Swift Boaters" were bad? You thought the Republican lying slime machine couldn't any worse? Think again!)
* Temporary surplus, long-term trouble
* Does Bolling gain if McDonnell goes, and what about an LG void?
* Freedom upheld for Virginia death-row inmate
* Liberal groups launch ads hitting George Allen's Senate record (And there's a lot to hit! Remember, this guy voted 96% of the time with George W. Bush, including for two unpaid-for wars, an unpaid-for new entitlement, two massive/unpaid-for tax cuts, etc, etc.)
* Va. state workers to get bonus
* McDonnell to deliver Republican convention speech (Congratulations to Pat Robertson's "good friend" "Bobby!" Haha.)
* Black Caucus protests Virginia's new achievement goals
* A letter to Gov. McDonnell from the Virginia Legislative Black Caucus
* White House defends Biden after Wilder rebuke (Is Doug Wilder ever NOT an egomaniacal jerk? Ever since I started blogging about Virginia politics in 2005, I've watched this supposed "Democrat" bad mouth fellow Democrats, refuse to endorse them, and just be an overall jerk. Yes, he's a historic figure, so how about he just stay in the history books?)
* In first board meeting since strife, U.Va. leaders pledge unity
* U-Va. board speaks little of crisis
* FBI investigates former VRE employee
* Attack Ads Attack the Other Candidate's Attack Ads (I seriously recommend that everyone not watch TV until after election day. Unless you're a masochist, perhaps.)
* U.S. Senate Candidate Kaine Takes A Tour of Main Street Manassas
* Judge orders Richmond candidate's name placed on ballot
* Golden girl Gabby Douglas welcomed back to Hampton Roads
* Want to believe in Nats? Permission granted.
lowkell :: Virginia News Headlines: Friday Morning
Blue Virginia Promote Your Page Too
The purpose of Blue Virginia is to cover Virginia politics from a progressive and Democratic perspective. This is a group blog and a community blog. We invite everyone to comment here, but please be aware that profanity, personal attacks, bigotry, insults, rudeness, frequent unsupported or off-point statements, and "trolling" (NOTE: that includes outright lies, whether about climate science, or what other people said, or whatever) are not permitted and, if continued, will lead to banning. For more on trolling, see the
Daily Kos FAQs. Also note that diaries may be deleted if they do not contain at least 2 solid paragraphs of original text; if not, please use the comments section of a relevant diary. For more on writing diaries, click here. Thanks, and enjoy!
P.S. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and you can
. If you'd like to subscribe to Miles Grant's Twitter feed, subscribe to Lowell's Twitter feed here . For Teacherken, click here . For Kindler, click here .
P.P.S. To see the Blue Virginia archive,
please click here. To see the Raising Kaine archive, please click here. To see the Blue Commonwealth archive, please click here.
Subscribe to Blue Virginia - Front Page