Women who stay at home to raise their children should be given federal assistance for child care so that they can enter the job market and "have the dignity of work," Mitt Romney said in January, undercutting the sense of extreme umbrage he showed when Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen quipped last week that Ann Romney had not "worked a day in her life."
Can we say "utter hypocrisy?" "False 'outrage'?" How about the media covering THIS story, which actually is a REAL story because it relates to the views and proposed policies of the Republican nominee for president, as opposed to its brain-dead, breathless coverage of some random comment by some random pundit on some random cable show? Oh wait, I forgot, this is infotaiment, false equivalence, ratings-uber-alles, corporate conservative media we're talking about - so much for that idea.
P.S. See the "flip" for a great comment on that same HuffPo thread; pretty much sums up the entire Republican approach, and certainly Willard's!
- Make contraception less available to poor women by getting rid of Planned Parenthood.
- Make the option of abortion illegal by signing a Personhood Amendment.
- Make access to prenatal care and pediatric care less available by gutting Medicaid.
- Then force parents out of the home so that they can't even raise their own children.
- Then gut public K-12 education.
- Then gut grants for College Education.
- Then make sure there are no jobs available for young people because your own g.reed was too busy outsourcing and hiding your money in the Caymans and Switzerland.
Does that sound like a winning plan to you?
Obvious answer: NO! So why would anyone even consider voting for it? Uhhhhhh.
The purpose of Blue Virginia is to cover Virginia politics from a progressive and Democratic perspective. This is a group blog and a community blog. We invite everyone to comment here, but please be aware that profanity, personal attacks, bigotry, insults, rudeness, frequent unsupported or off-point statements, "trolling" (NOTE: that includes outright lies, whether about climate science, or what other people said, or whatever), and "troll ratings abuse" (e.g., "troll" rating someone simply because you disagree with their argument) are not permitted and, if continued, will lead to banning. For more on trolling, see the Daily Kos FAQs. Also note that diaries may be deleted if they do not contain at least 2 solid paragraphs of original text; if not, please use the comments section of a relevant diary. For more on writing diaries, click here. Thanks, and enjoy!